Sunday, July 25, 2010

because I'll never sleep again

My first love was dumb ol boy some sort of waking nightmare.
He wore his pants just under his butt...
He was my first lesson in gang writings, hip hop...and ooofff the lowriders.
He went away after grabbing me by the neck and dragging me down
a vacant hallway after hours at Seguin High School.
He went away chasing broads in Air Jordans and mini skirts....
Lord knows I'd never allow myself to adapt to that look.

My Second love was a stellar dream.
He was a big teddy bear on the football team...
He was my first lesson about the night sky,
How right here on earth we could float above it all...and kiss the stars
He was a gentleman in every way so I cried so hard when he left for college one day.
Arizona took him from me, and we'd never be the same...
Even when he drove to Huntsville to ask me back, we were still tunneling the drain.
watching him smile got harder and walking away was so easy....
his vices got the best of him and I'm just too damn cute to change over to sleazy.

The last love to end all love for me
is a soft spoken intensive thinking hard working..PROUD hispanic man.
I'd never known comfort before this man held me in his sleep...
The world just turns and turns and turns...and with a deep exhale
and the smell of his skin I could just sleep.
You see he wakes before the sun and would kiss my face to fall back into my slumber...
and then that lazy sun would brighten my day...while he worked for us, his family.
This man decided almost a decade ago that I am just not worthy of his love....
I thought that I could show him...and love enough for for the both of us
He loves the night...and chases the neon lights with a cold one in his hand.
I've chased it right along with him for the better part of my twenties now...
I think that's just how the story goes...
Because as hard as its been to let him go I know I'll never sleep again.

No comments:

Post a Comment