Monday, May 3, 2010

Derby Love

I feel most comfortable with eight pink wheels under my feet.
I skate til my muscles feel as though they are going to burst.
I skate because there's nothing in this world that gets my heart pumping like...
the heebie jeebies of a scary movie mixed...
with nerves of a first kiss...
and
the rage I'd get to defend my womanhood.
All rolled up into a two minute jam.
That's why I skate.

I don't think you know yet why I skate.
I skate because this game requires me to think offensive and defensivly while being
hit from all sides, while skating my lil heart out, communicating with my team, while...
a ref is giving me a NO-NO....
and the opponent blocker is taunting...
but all I care about is my star...My Jammer.

She's coming around the corner and I will find a hole
In this group of girls, vicious to knock eachother out...
to get her through...to score some points...
to not go home...this bruised
for nothing but to say we are the best!!

I skate because I never did fit in.
I skate because I'd be in jail otherwise...
because of this anger...i hold so dearly in my heart...
waiting for practice...to get knocked on my ass
by a bigger girl...who is such a dear friend.
I skate because I couldn't find a balance in my life
without Roller Derby.

No comments:

Post a Comment